View Single Post
Old January 13, 2000, 02:45 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

The 1851 (colt signature series) Navy has an ear splitting report (not sure why) and it doesn't kick at all. My colt doesn't like conical bullets and in most offereings conicals won't fit in the gap. Its grip is undersized and its front-heavy. Still its VERY pretty with all that case hardening and silver. Bluing is thick and even and the fit and finish are light years beyond the qulaity of spanish and italian copies. I bought the colt accessory kit to go with it. The flask throws an 18 grain charge. A nice gun to play with at the range. be careful of your hearing.. be courteous about your smoke and have fun.

My 1860 Army is an italian copy from Cabela's called the "outlaw" its got a semi fluted cylinder and ivorex grips and its cut for a shoulder stock. The balance is nice and the full sized grip adds to better accruacy too. This gun will fire conicals with no problem and again, I bought a dixie arms powder flask which thorws a premeasured charge. (22-25 grains is normal.) This dosn't seem as loud as the navy, but there is still little recoil. The fit and finish aren't as nice but it shoots well. I like the blade front sight and the bluing is deep (though its still not a colt)

Colt walkers and their replicas typically take 50 grains of powder per chamber so BE aware it will kick/be loud/create a smoke screen.

BP is a lot of fun, at least from the bench.

Dr.Rob

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries