View Single Post
Old November 9, 1999, 09:11 AM   #2
Rosco Benson

First off, there's no need to apologize for an interest in guns and a desire to be prepared. The only people who would view your interests and equipment choices as aberrant are freedom-hating, anti-gun pinheads. We need not concern ourselves with the opinions of such scum.

That said, I think you are over-glassed on the Bushmaster. A 3x-9x is quite a bit of magnification...probably too much for your intended use. I concur with your notion of going to a flat-top upper. I would suggest mounting an ARMS Swan Sleeve (or the GG&G equivalent components) to provide you with backup iron sights. (The "extended" Swan sleeve is usually necessary to allow the scope to be mounted far enough forward to permit proper eye relief).

For the glass itself, I think Leupold's Vari-XII 1x-4x would be about perfect (Leupold offers this in a matte finish as a shotgun scope, with a heavy duplex reticle. The "shotgun" scope differs from its glossy "rifle" counterpart only in being set to be paralax free at 75 yards rather than 150 yards...no big deal). Leave the scope set on 1x and target acquisition is very quick. Mount the scope in ARMS QD throw-lever rings (these are 30mm rings, so you'll need ARMS 1" inserts) and you can jettison the scope, if damaged, in about the time it takes to reload.

The Mini-14 would probably be best served by either sticking with the issue sights (perhaps drilling out the rear aperture a bit larger) or replacing the issue sights with a set from Ashley Outdoors. These consist of a proper "ghost-ring" rear aperture and a front sight with a high-visibility white line scribed down its face.

I would lose the laser and forget about the red-dot sights. These rely on batteries and on the user actually turning them on before action.

On the whole issue of scopes; I'd suggest that you stick with Leupold. In optics, you get what you pay for (if you're lucky).

Well, that my two cents. Hope it helps.

Rosco

Page generated in 0.03317 seconds with 8 queries