Thread: Starting load?
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2012, 10:23 AM   #13
SL1

Unclenick wrote:

Quote:
Note how all the other SAAMI cartridges that were originally rated at 52,000 CUP and later were retested and rated in a Piezo transducer got at least 60,000 psi. The .223 situation is some kind of bad instrumentation mojo.
I agree that the .223 (as well as the .357 and .44 Magnums) were substantially down-rated in ACTUAL pressure and power when SAAMI adopted the Piezo transducer and psi standards.

But, I don't understand the ASSUMPTION that this was due to "some kind of bad instrumentation mojo." The folks on the standards committee who adopted those values are surely more or at least as qualified as we are to see that something is NOT making sense IF the intention was to produce the same ACTUAL pressures with both standards.

So, it seems to me that there is more to these "shifts" in performance between the two standards (CUP and psi).

It would be real helpful if the industry was more forthcoming about the REAL reasons for these performance shifts. Insisting that they ARE equal only damages their credibility, without convincing anybody. And saying that it is due to some sort of instrumentation anomally tends to damage their image of competence. Why can't they just deal with the anomally with better procedures and/or instrumentation so as to make a new standard that keeps the same level of actual performance?

SL1

Page generated in 0.03769 seconds with 8 queries