View Single Post
Old June 12, 2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Bill Akins

Gator Weiss, you wrote: "4. Placing an object over the cylinder - be it felt or wood or leather - is dangerous, because it will direct hot gasses and burning particles over the face of the cylinder. That is what we are trying to avoid !!!"

I don't think the flame and hot gases would be directed over the face of the cylinder Gator. Look carefully at the picture below. Notice how the area on the wooden disk where it fits over the forcing cone is chamfered/angled approx at a forward 45 degree angle to allow the forcing cone to completely fill that area of the disk? The hole in the disk is larger than the cylinder hole and is chamfered/angled outward to boot. That means any flame from that fired cylinder would go to the path of least resistance which would be not only through the forcing cone of the barrel, but any flame that wanted to "fan out" and go over the cylinder face would be stopped by the tightly fitting disk and also be inclined to be deflected forward because of the V shaped chamfered angle of the hole of the disk that goes over the forcing cone. Look closely at the pic. See how the chamfered hole in the disk for the top chamber is chamfered/angled outward at about 45 degrees and that same hole is larger than the cylinder hole which not only seals around the cylinder hole, but also via the chamfer directs the gases forward at a chamfered angle AWAY from the cylinder face and its other cylinders? See what I mean Gator?

The main problem I have come to recognize as a flaw in my design thinking, is flame cutting the felt on the back of the disk and blowing it out. If I could somehow get a replacement material for the felt, that would render itself to greasing and be a tight fit against the cylinder face, but unlike the felt be impervious to flame or flame cutting. Perhaps a very high temperature resistant plastic for the disk and some kind of flame and flame cutting impervious material for the felt replacement. Then it might work. I think I'll check around for high temp resistant plastic and a flame/flame cutting impervious fabric material. Then mill one out and strap it down and test it over and over again with a trigger pull string for safety. (But with a cheapo blk pwdr revolver rather than my good one just in case).

I appreciate the opinions fellas. It helps me to think this out.

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 12, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries