View Single Post
Old December 19, 2009, 12:47 AM   #13
hickstick_10

3 jaws dont hold for [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] when your turning metal, they certainly wont hold a gun barrel.

(not a gunsmith, but i am a Journeyman machinist)

And id agree with the fellas here to leave revolvers to the gunsmiths, Ive chambered and rebarelled precisely 1 bolt gun and 2 lever guns, but i dont dare touch my own revolvers. I done some time with none destructive testing so I know for certain my rebarelling jobs were good, no cracks.

Your projects sounds almost exactly like one I've been day dreaming of, but i think il break down and buy one from Uberti

Pick up the book "gunsmithing guns of the old west" IMHO (as a amateur gunsmith) I found it really helpful as far as exploded diagrams. Plus he demonstrates the use of the T handled tools that Dfarriswheel is explaining to you. Plus old man dunlaps book is a must

That being said it sounds like you have a metal lathe if you have a 3 jaw chuck, now if you have a 4 jaw chuck and know how to use dial indicators you have all you need to do the job once you get past the barrel removal, including fitting the barrel so the sight sits at 12 oclock, fitting for cylinder gap and boring the forcing cone. A 3 jaw chucks is USELESS for these operations so use a 4 jaw. Oh yeah theres another book called "precision rifle barrel fitting" and its very good IMHO as an amateur for explaining the setups used. If you have a good metal lathe you do not need the T handle tools.

Gun work is a micrometer and gauge style of measuring, not just grinding something to fit and checking it with a 6 inch dial caliper *shudders*.

If your competent with machine tools (like i mean competent, like +- 0.0002 competent) and are a careful man, you can do much of your own gun work in my opinion.

Quote:
A lot of misunderstanding comes from folks who really are experts in some other area of mechanics, say auto transmission work, and figure that guns are a lot less complicated (true) and don't require any special knowledge (false). They naturally think they have the skills and knowledge needed to work on guns, but guns have their own unique problems and the same skills do not apply. So please, if your skills are in other areas, don't assume you know about guns, or be insulted if someone implies that you do not.

If you are the star mechanic at AAMCO, and I said that I planned to tear my transmission apart using a monkey wrench and a screwdriver, you would "cringe" and probably question my sanity. So maybe I had better leave my transmission work to you and you could leave the gunsmithing to folks like Dfariswheel.
It is my personal belief that a man can learn anything if he puts effort to it, this intrepid young experimentor may become a great gunsmith who specializes in a conversion like this (I'd know I'd buy one), provided he keeps an opend mind, learns as much as possible and hopefully practices on some old clunker guns first theres no reason he couldn't pull it off.

Some tradesman (especially those who deal with 0.001 or less of an inch) tend to develop a mentality that we are special and others are tape measure workmen, well were not, the gauges do the measuring and the machines do the cutting, and anyone who doesnt fathom the "secrets" can never tinker with whatever, IMHO its not true.

Learn what 0.001 is first and learn how to keep parts concentrc to one another and your 3/4 of the way there!!

I forgot to add, a good practice gun would be an old H&R .22 revolver (or its equivalent) kinda like a miny version *drools* hell thats one I'm gonna try myself (cheap barrels and actions)

Good luck

Mike

Last edited by hickstick_10; December 19, 2009 at 05:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.03437 seconds with 8 queries