View Single Post
Old January 5, 2019, 05:38 PM   #54
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
I don’t shoot my great grandpa’s cape gun.. 12 2 1/2 x 7.62x51mmR double barrel by Henri Pieper made in 1892 or 93. We know great Grandpa bought the gun at the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1892 because he also brought back some commemorative silver half dollars and those coins always go in the gun cabinet with that gun.

It’s not Damascus twist, it’s old compression steel. It is about a mile long and weighs about three tons. About 15 years ago I took a white tail with that gun, using 30-30 brass and plastic tip Speer handgun low velocity high tech copper bullet and a load that was developed that had less pressure than a hot black powder round.

The deer went down flat, never got one step. That bullet mushroomed textbook fashion, and was trapped inside the hide of the far side of the deer. I reckon that’s about exactly enough penetration. That was for the gun’s 110th birthday.

It was fun developing the load, learning to shoot the offset on that gun (I wasn’t going to drift the sights... not after they had been there over 100 years) and taking that deer so efficiently.

But... project done, point proven, and I never had any desire to develop a black powder shotgun shell. It’s an heirloom now.

I asked my kid if I could trade if for something she might like to shoot... I got yelled at. She wants that old safe queen, I guess!

Cool story, my inherited guns get passed on, I’m just a caretaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.02047 seconds with 8 queries