View Single Post
Old March 21, 2017, 02:04 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

Quote:
I am very confused. I would like to hear your opinion to learn what has gone wrong.
I also am confused. My manuals list a maximum overall length with bullet for the 8mm Mauser as 3.250" Any round loaded to this length, or less should not have the bullet touching the lands.

However, longer overall lengths without touching the lands are possible, depending on the shape of the bullet, since touching the lands happens on the shoulder of the bullet, not the tip.

The standard COAL length is intended to allow all the common bullet styles to avoid touching the lands and work through the magazines as well. There are many guns where, if you seat the bullet to touch the lands (or be just off that) the round will be too long to work through the magazine.

Which brings up some additional questions. Specifically, what rifle are you using? What load? (warning, those answers will lead to other questions )

I'm afraid I have no experience with the Hornady gauge, so I can offer no help there.

Your method #2 (dowel down the muzzle) is not precise enough to be relied on for very small measurements. When looking at differences less than .1" variations on how a mark is made can result increasing the margin of error.

OK, you're shooting a Mauser 98k and looking at 3-4" at 100 FEET?? I don't know what else you have looked at, but first I would be looking at the rifle, and not worrying about seating to the lands or anything else just yet.

What Mauser 98k, and what is the condition of the bore?? I've had a lot of mauser 98s over the years, and they aren't match rifles, unless specifically built into one. When you say Mauser 98k, I think of the WWII German infantry rifle in issue condition. Is that what you have??

Have you shot the rifle(s) with other ammo, commercial ammo of assumed good quality? What were the results? (and for now we will assume its not you, but that can be a factor)

If you're looking to improve the performance of your rifle & ammo, the more information you provide, the better we can compare it with our experience and share the results with you.

Page generated in 0.03715 seconds with 8 queries