View Single Post
Old December 9, 2013, 07:06 PM   #73
Malamute

Quote:
Originally posted by LockedBreech How is learning a lesson from a life experience being defeated? If he leaves a car unlocked and it gets stolen, and he locks it from there on, he wasn't defeated by a robber, he learned from an experience.

You don't necessarily need to live your life the same way he does, but altering behavior patterns based on experience is a main hallmark of an intelligent species.

I agree with your second paragraph.

Regarding the first paragraph, I believe he said the opposite of what you said, that he stopped locking his vehicle, since the window will only get broken out, and not to ever have anything of value in a vehicle, since it will only get stolen. It sounded like he gave up on keeping anything safe in his vehicle, and felt that was the lesson others should take from it, as it was offered as advice in this thread on the question of having another gun along when travelling.

Same basic ideas on securing anything in a vehicle from the earlier posts, the feeling I got from his posts was it was basically hopeless to keep anything in a vehicle, even cable locked, or secured, even with a dog in the vehicle. OK, that was his lesson from his experiences, I get that, it just isn't mine, I've had things stolen from a vehicle also. I wont give up on having my personal effects with me when I travel, and do the best I can to keep them safe.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Page generated in 0.03428 seconds with 8 queries