Thread: Big Game Prep
View Single Post
Old September 18, 2019, 09:41 PM   #21
denvernoob

"Lots of great advice here"; you got that right doofus47! Seriously thanks!

A little about the hunt... no guide, it is in southern Colorado at around 6k ft elevation. I am going with an Army buddies family who have hunted this land for many years. The hunt is an annual event that is a meat harvest as much as anything. We are hunting 4th rifle season, Nov 13-17th. I'm told this is the best season for this land becasue the heard is at lower elevations, but they are also shy and weary of hunters. Meaning that taking a shot at 300 yds is pretty much expected.

I'm basically going because my buddy vouched that "he can shoot". So yeah, I'm commited, and I do want to make a clean, humane kill.

Absolutley going to be making some changes this weekend at the range. Check it out:

When HiBC mentioned making a rear rest it really occured that my position needed greatly approved. I was in an akward seated prone type posiition trying to support the stock, and just a mess in general. So I bought this pretty simple bag setup. I couldn't believe how much better it felt than last weekend at the range.

Just practicing in this setup, I took in all the advice and called my shot, and followed through. It all feels a lot better! That reticle was frozen like a picture on the target after dry firing. Going to use better targets too.

I think it was also spot on about being recoil shy. Shooting high powered is a lot different. I even dismissed this advice almost out of tough guy reflex or something, but truth be told I believe my eyes were closed.

Anyway again, thanks for taking the time with the advice. I'll share some pics if I got something to show after the range this weekend.

Page generated in 0.02885 seconds with 8 queries