View Single Post
Old October 17, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
603Country

My observations suggest that the big bucks recognize the ATV sounds. I used to get in the stands well before the lazy family members, and I'd walk the last half mile or so to get to the stand. I've watched bucks react when they heard the ATV's coming. They seemed to connect the sound with danger. And, there was one instance where I rode the ATV all the way to the woods and pushed it into some weeds to hide it. From where I sat on the ground, I could see the back of my ATV, but I knew that a buck wouldn't be able to see it from the other side. Well, as luck had it, a very nice 8 point came slinking from behind me, between me and the ATV, and cautiously moved into the right-of-way. He had the same view of the back of my ATV that I did and when he saw it he absolutely leaped across the right-of-way and got into some cover and started observing the ATV. Happily for me, he was so busy observing that he didn't look behind him. He might not have known it was a Honda, but he knew it meant that he was in danger. Now, if I'm doe hunting, I don't worry about ATV noises, but if I'm after the big buck I take all precautions possible on noise and odor. Still, all that becomes less important when the rut gets going good. Maybe if the distance is too much for walking, ride the ATV part of the way and then hike in from there.

Page generated in 0.02088 seconds with 8 queries