View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Scottish870

New member...first gun... Remington 870 Exp Tactical - couple of questions

Hi everyone, new member here........ new-ish to America (lived here a year) and just bought my first gun (picking it up at Cabelas this weekend). My only previous experience is some very infrequent clay shooting back home in Scotland an over/under shotgun.

I eventually plan to get a pistol, maybe a rifle, and perhaps a shotgun better suited to clays/skeet. I don't intend to hunt.

I've been planning to get a gun for a while...mainly for home defense, and partly just because this is America and I can! (very hard in the UK) I purchased (without much research!) a Remington 870 Express Tactical (model with the Blackhawk stock):

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...blackhawk.aspx

I have a few questions:

1. Now I know this shotgun has a short barrel and wide choke so will not be well suited to clays or skeet. I've read on forums that some ranges wont even let you use a pump action tactical (for reasons such as they are too loud or people go all Rambo like with them, and safety - like nobody can be sure what's still in the gun). Is this a correct picture of how tactical shotguns are viewed at ranges? I plan to take some basic newbie safety courses and a tactical shotgunning course...but after that what are my options at ranges - are shotguns allowed in ranges to shoot at static targets (like I think pistol shooters do?).

2. Related to above question... is it easy enough for me to change the barrel to a longer one with a tighter choke for clays? Would that be acceptable at a range (or would I still get grief for having a pistol grip pump action?)

3. I've read (on forum threads dating back to 2010) that the Remington Express models were not well received when they came out and allegedly has problems out of the box like rough chambers and barrels resulting in them not being reliable. I think one issue often mentioned was the factory tube extension and that it may have been quietly improved by Remington. I guess my question is.... what's the general perception of them these days? Can I expect it to be highly reliable out of the box?

FYI - I'm reading a lot about shotgunning and intend to get a cleaning kit and keep good care of my gun. I've been looking at ranges near me (WV panhandle).

Great forum you guys have here

Scott

PS - sorry for the long thread!

Last edited by Scottish870; January 24, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03802 seconds with 8 queries