View Single Post
Old October 27, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Nakanokalronin

Picked up my XDS 2 tone and shot it along side my 9mm Shield

While browsing my LGS last week, I noticed a new looking 2-tone XDS in the used case. Upon further examination inside and out, it looked unfired. After talking to the workers there that I've known for many years, it came from a guy who buys the newest guns to come out and only shoots a few of the guns he buys before he trades them in. The Shield I bought was barely used and I honestly think it came from the same guy since it came from the same shop, so thanks to him for making these guns $100+ cheaper for me.

In any case, I took it to the range along with my 9mm Shield to compare accuracy, recoil, grip, etc. Ammo for the XDS was a mix of American Eagle bulk 230gr. ball, S&B 230gr. ball, HST standard pressure 230gr. HP and PDX-1 standard pressure 230gr. HP. Ammo for the Shield was a mix of RWS 124gr. ball, Federal 115gr. ball, PDX-1 124gr. +P and HST 124gr. +P.

To make a long story short, both guns pretty much had the same amount of recoil, the XDS was a tad more accurate and both grips were very comfortable and stayed firmly planted in the hands. I brought only 150rds for each gun (300 total) and neither gun had a single malfunction.

The trigger on the XDS is quite different than the Shield. The XDS trigger is more "Glock like" as in a sharp break and then it stays completely rearward unless the slide is racked. The reset is also nice and short, which is much different than the other 7 standard XDs I've owned and if you're familiar with the standard internals, you can see there's been a change and IMO, a good one. The Shield trigger is a little smoother but that's because I've not only shot it more, but I've installed an APEX sear and polished/rounded the striker block as well. They make a spring kit for the XDS which lightens the pull some but IMO it's not needed.

As for the grip texture, it looks really aggressive but it dosn't hurt your hand in the slightest. I have large hands, but I put the smaller back strap on the XDS mainly because it changes the angle. With the large backstrap, I felt like I was holding a 3rd gen G26 with the oversized hump pressing into my palm which you may or may not like.

Overall the XDS and Shield are pretty much identical in size. It would be a really hard choice between the two, especially when the XDS comes out in .40 and 9mm. I've always liked 45acp in how it shoots and feels and since I'm already a little above the accuracy of the Shield with only my first outing, it may be the overall winner.... but we'll see.

Page generated in 0.03618 seconds with 8 queries