View Single Post
Old September 18, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Charles S

Thanks for your review bswiv. I appreciate the information.

I like the old Rhino series, but do not need the radio capability and honestly it is not an upgrade from my current Magellan.

For all of you offering advice on compasses, I have a number of high quality compasses including the current military style and very high end surveyor compasses. I actually teach orienteering.

The next time I want advice on compasses I will ask for it. I can do things more quickly and conveniently with a GPS than I can with a compass. I can find my unmarked trot lines that run in the creek bottom in the middle of a lake at night in a couple of seconds. If you can do that with a compass while navigating the boat by yourself and handling fish, more power to you.

I can wander deeply into terrain with no significant terrain features, while concentrating on the stalk, not focusing on the next scrub oak and counting steps. If you can.. great. I simply like the convenience of a good GPS.

If you don't like or need a GPS please feel free to post your thoughts on your own thread. If you don't have anything to contribute then you are welcome to keep to yourself.

Quote:
I don't have any advice, but I am interested in hearing what makes one GPS unit better than another. I don't know much about them.
There are so many differences it is hard to address in one post, everything from speed, ease of use, map types, accuracy, weight, battery life, screen type, and visibility both at night and in daylight. The ability to use it for hunting, marine use, Geo catching if you wish, navigation when driving.

A little research will show you how many there are and how diverse their capabilities can be.

Page generated in 0.03305 seconds with 8 queries