Thread: 41 special
View Single Post
Old April 14, 2008, 02:09 PM   #17
dakotashooter2

A gentleman by the name of Lloyd Small on the Graybeard Outdoors site had a 5 shot 41 special built on a single six frame. I couln't find the pics but it is a sweet gun. I bought an anniversary flattop with hopes of doing something similar when I have enough money. Lloyd also had a .32 done on a bearcat frame. I actually cut down some cases and have loaded them with 230gr cast bullets for use in my 425. They are extremely accurate, pleasant to shoot and eject like a dream. I have not clocked them but have taken a couple of deer under 30 yards without a problem.

I have to believe this is one of the major reasons the .41 never gained popular acceptance. It (.41 mag) was developed for police use and had it come out as a "special" instead of a magnum it would have been a more controlable round, one of the reasons in did not gain acceptance. It also would have been functional for a smaller framed gun and especially a reasonably concealable 5 shot. Instead it lost out to the .357 mag, 44 special ad .44 mag. I suspect it is very similar in performance to the 40 S&W which is very popular in law enforcement circles.

I am reluctant to pay what they ask for the "custom" special brass so I cut down my own. Especially those that have split necks.

Last edited by dakotashooter2; April 14, 2008 at 02:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.02752 seconds with 8 queries