View Single Post
Old May 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #117
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The point is to use good tactics, train with your gun and have the gun with you no matter what your reasoning is regarding capacity.
Yep!

I've come to realize, after any decades of shooting, that a prerequisite for both using and training for good tactics is being trained by qualified tactical instructors.

Learning how to hold the gun, learning the proper sight picture, and learning and practicing trigger pull are necessary but are likely not sufficient. Learning to hit multiple targets repeatedly and very quickly can prepare one for the kind of violent attack that develops in the blink of an eye and that may well involve more than one fast-moving dangerous assailant. Learning to do that while running will also prove helpful, though I must confess that I haven't gone that far yet myself.

I finally took a nine-hour course in tactical defensive pistol shooting at the beginning of this month. It was a real eye-opener. They used torso-sized steel plates at seven yards, partly to give instant audible confirmation of hits after each shot and partly to dispel the idea that group size is important in a violent self defense encounter.

I strongly recommend that everyone who is serious about defending himself with deadly force should the need ever arise look into the availability of such training and avail himself or herself of it as soon as practical.

It could prove very valuable indeed, and it has the side benefit of being fun for those who like to shoot.

It will likely influence one's selection of a new weapon and holster type, along with the decision of whether to put a second magazine on the other side of the belt.....

Page generated in 0.03105 seconds with 8 queries