View Single Post
Old January 18, 2020, 06:46 PM   #89
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The one thing I like about the NICS is that they have to run it every time I'm buying a gun.
This is one of the things I detest about the current system.

I suppose its a point of view thing. I just hate the idea of #1 having to prove my "good standing" every single time and #2, the more times I get run the more chances the flawed system could come back with a "false positive" which would be a royal pain in the butt.

PERHAPS, just perhaps, mind you, perhaps we should have them keep the records. That way when I go to buy another gun they can look and say "oh, Mr AMP, you already have 47 (or 17 or even one) guns so another won't make any difference. Here ya go! have a nice day!"

Of course, they wouldn't do it that way, and the potential for abuse is huge, so I don't really advocate for that. Just wondering why couldn't we do it that way?? And yes, I know the answer, because some people don't want done that way and have the authority to prevent it.

wasn't there a case a few years ago where the FBI "got caught" keeping data they were supposed to have purged? Didn't it go to court? I don't remember. I do remember there was a claim that the "needed to keep the data longer than the law allowed for, in order to comply with..." something else I don't remember now.

Not sure how it turned out, but I think they got spanked. IF they didn't they should have been.

Quote:
To me, the word "corruption" carries a connotation of a public official using his/her public office for some sort of private gain.
I agree with this, but would point out that the private gain need not be money, it could just be their own personal sense of pride from doing what they felt was the "right" thing, despite what the law actually says.

I would put following your ideology, and not the law, as a degree of corrupt behavior. just for a different kind of "profit" that isn't money.

Of course, I'm narrow minded enough to put "activist" judges in that group, as well, so take it for what you think its worth.

Page generated in 0.03506 seconds with 8 queries