View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 05:26 PM   #31
bytheplum

shooting antique flintlocks.

Please make SURE you let a competent BP gunsmith check it over. Preferably one who has built ML guns, as he will be more aware of the nuances that can avoid destroying the gun WITHOUT shooting it. Modern gunsmiths may not have the proper appreciation for the antique arms and might inadvertently do something foolish.

Some posts suggested clamping barrel and setting it off with cannon fuse. I agree. Nobody should be standing in line with either end of the barrel when it fires. They should be behind a substantial barrier. If the barrel fails, it just could be the breech plug that comes charging backwards out the barrel. Some of the old threads are pretty tenuous. I'd hate to have you spoil your day.

I build new originals, and shoot them.

AND have rehabed several antiques to stop the action of time. I understand your wish to shoot some old guns. Just make sure of the condition.

Like another poster, I suggest removing the barrel from the stock before firing. If the barrel goes, you can recreate it after a fashion given sufficient photos and measurements before it is destroyed. Good shooting.

Page generated in 0.04050 seconds with 8 queries