View Single Post
Old April 15, 2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Can you use the same bullet weight and powder weights from the speer manual with other bullets?
Not necessarily. Part of what creates pressure is bullet resistance. Differ bullet shapes create different resistance, and therefore different pressures. One factor affecting shape and pressure is "bearing surface," the amount of bullet that contacts the bore and rifling. In fact, Speer has some loads where it recommends a different powder charge for different bullets of the same weight.

Quote:
Any general tips for a beginner?
Yup. Stick with published loads and don't mix components. There are many sources for loads, including online sources from most of the powder manufacturers. Hodgdon has a nice bunch of loads on its website.

And regardless of what loads work well in someone else's rifle, each rifle is an individual. Your rifle will have its own favorites.

All that said, I'll tell you what load works for me in my .223: 45gr Speer softpoint over 26gr. of H335, lit by a CCI 250 small rifle magnum primer.

Its a varmit load, and it works well for that.

ETA: I don't know much about 6.5X55, but Wildalaska does. He has posted his favorite load(s) here. You might find them with the search function.

Page generated in 0.02132 seconds with 8 queries