View Single Post
Old March 12, 2015, 10:09 AM   #1
kraigwy

Brandishing Problems

Brandishing in the form of being prepared for danger needs to be evaluated.

An example: You are filling your vehicle at a gas station. While at the pump, here comes Mr. Scruffy, a weird looking dude coming up to your pump and car. Looks like a possible car jacking maybe. OR, maybe Mr. Scruffy is an employee ( some do look weird) and is just coming up to record the numbers at the pump. Do you draw your pistol just in case?

Or you're at an ATM withdrawing money, some guy comes up behind you and waiting and watching...... is he waiting to get your money or is he waiting to use the ATM? Do you draw your piston just in case?

The problem is, if you draw you pistol and the guy at the pump is an employee, or the guy at the ATM is waiting to use the ATM is waiting his turn, then you are in fact brandishing, or worse committing assault.

You should be ready, yet you cant be waiving your gun around.

The answer is ability to draw from concealment instantly, less then 0.5 seconds. If you can't then you need to re-evaluate your training or method of carry or both.

I've said this before on this site. I teach in in my CC classes.

But here is another case that comes to mind that could have easily ended up much worse.

Disclaimer: I don't condone the actions of the police, nor do I want to discuss the actions of the police so lets please leave that out. My intent of posting this story is how the home owner could have accomplished the same thing without putting himself, family and officer in danger.

http://www.examiner.com/article/newc...-dog-complaint

This is a report of a family being waken up in the middle of the night with loud banging on his door in the middle of the night. Occurring in a town that normally pulls in its sidewalks at 9 PM.

The guy peeps out the door sees no one. Wife goes to the children while the man steps out on the porch with his pistol to investigate. Why is someone banging on his door in the middle of the night?

When he steps out on the porch he is immediately "ambushed" by the police who sees a guy with a gun who may be a danger to the officers.

It could have turned out a lot worse, the guy could have shot the officers whom he assumed were trying to get in his home or the officers could have shot the home owner thinking they were in danger.

But the Grace of God interfered and no one was hunt.

This brings me back to my point, if the home owner stepped out with the pistol concealed yet could been put to use instantly, he could have been ready if it was a home invader, OR, he could have instantly produced empty hands when he saw they were officers.

Its about how you carry, what you carry and the training and practice producing your handgun.

An example, I pocket carry J frame. Nothing to hang up while drawing, and no one thinks anything about seeing someone walking around with their hands in their pockets. I can have my hand on my revolver without anyone knowing, or I can instantly produce empty hands.

Think about how you carry, think about how it would look if you had your hand on your gun. Get a shot timer and see how long it takes you to draw and fire. In other words THINK.

Again lets try to stay away from the discussion of the officers involved in the above story. That has already been addressed by the City and the Police Dept. involved.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by JohnKSa; March 14, 2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Sp.

Page generated in 0.02663 seconds with 8 queries