View Single Post
Old April 15, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

5.0 grains of Bullseye comes quite close to the government's hardball load, and is a pretty standard formula for hardball. I would not see a lot of reason to exceed it unless the shape of your bullet has it seating out further and leaving more powder space than 230 grain ball does. For higher velocities you do better to use HS6 or some other slower pistol powder. In some guns you will be able to increase the bullseye just fine. A gun with an integral ramp barrel should have no problem with 5.5 grains. Some guns with standard barrels will see some case bulging, but I would not expect to see an actual case failure from that load. It will, however, batter a semi-auto unnecessarily unless you put in stiffer springs, which is why I don't see a general reason to exceed it.

For the future, you will want to get an inertial puller or else invest in the Lee hand tool, which is easily carried to the range. You can then pre-charge a series of cases. label them with a sharpies and put corks in them. Use your seating die in the hand tool and seat and fire bullets one at a time, starting with the lowest charged case and working up. When the pressure looks high enough, stop. Uncork and return the powder from the rest to your measure at home and recharge them all with the last safe load.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03094 seconds with 8 queries