View Single Post
Old July 21, 2000, 10:24 PM   #3
Dogger

Kernel, I picked up an M38 Swedish Mauser carbine back in May. I had some trouble acquiring the front sight post in the artificial lighting at the NRA range. Put some orange paint on it and was shooting 5 round groups into 1.75 inches at 50 yards with the iron sights and the Federal Classic 140 grainers. The Swedish Mauser has great balance and is a pleasure to shoot. I pondered a long time between the 6.5x55 or the 7x57 in the Ruger M77. Since I already had the 6.5x55 in the Swede Mauser, I decided to order the Ruger in 7x57.

Now I am seriously thinking of acquiring another M77 in 6.5x55

But I keep thinking about a 30-06, too...

Too many great cartridges and too little money.

The M38 Swede is really a nice rifle. But it shoots about 5 inches high with the current front site post. I am thinking of replacing it with one from Brownell's.

I am amazed that both the 6.5x55 and 7x57 are not more popular with shooters. The Swede seems to be a little more popular than the 7x57 in Northern Virginia. The only way I can get 7x57 ammo is to order it. I can find 6.5x55 in stock at several stores.

The Leupold scope is a real joy. Bright beyond belief. I have heard that Burris makes a good scope too, but have not seen any that I can put my hands on for a close look.

What a great hobby.

Page generated in 0.02048 seconds with 8 queries