Thread: accurate no.9
View Single Post
Old August 22, 2002, 05:19 PM   #12
cheygriz

Griz,

The differences in luck that we've had with #9 could be no more than a matter of different tolerances in different guns.

Like you, I've tried loads in my guns that work like gangbusters for a friend in his gun and gave lousy results in my guns.

I totally agree with trying to standardize on powder and primers. And I really like H-110. It was my standard for several years. In fact, that's the main reason that I tried working up magnum loads with standard primers in the first place. So far, it's worked well for me, and I don't have to stock any magnum primers except Rem 9 1/2 M large rifle magnum. (My .300 and .338 WinMags just won't cut it with standard primers.)

I think this is what makes handloading so interesting. Every gun, and every load, is an entity unto itself. I once had a load worked up for an HK-91 in .308 that would shoot 5 shots into 2 inches with the factory iron sights all day long. That same load in a scoped, heavy barrel Remington 700 wouldn't even stay on the target. Go figure!

Page generated in 0.03273 seconds with 8 queries