View Single Post
Old January 5, 2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZheat
I’m also looking for the gun to be my primary home defense and range gun. I’ve shot the SAO orange in the past and I’ve been hooked. Problem is, no one has them around me at the moment, so may go online. With this in mind, I can’t compare the triggers. Also thinking maybe DA/SA will be a bit safer for home defense? May give me or the wife a bit of wiggle room in a tense situation, half asleep... I currently have 3 other SAO pistols, so not new to SAO. Have had plenty of time behind Glocks too. Just don’t know which way to go with the CZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09
FWIW, I converted my Shadow Orange from DA/SA to SAO. The factory DA/SA was smooth and well done, but it’s much better with the crisp 2lb SAO trigger. It is borderline a hair trigger though, great on the range but I wouldn’t hand it to a novice. I don’t think a factory SAO would be quite as touchy.

Personally, I wouldn’t use my Shadow Orange as a HD tool. Between the trigger (very little room for error) and knowing the condition it would be when/if they gave it back, I have other options that are better suited to that use.
A DA/SA model with a safety rather than a decocker gives you the most options, and the concern you both express about a "hair-trigger" can be easily resolved by installing a slightly heavier hammer spring. Hammer spring weight, when the hammer/sear interface has been tuned, is what really controls the weight of the trigger.

A safety-equipped DA/SA model and a trigger weight you're most comfortable with gives you several options:
  • You can then run the gun DA/SA, starting from hammer down without the safety engaged, for the heaviest trigger pull on the first shot, and a lighter trigger pull on following shots,

• You can start from the half-cock notch (aka the "safety notch") without the safety engaged or a slightly lighter, shorter trigger pull on the first shot, and a standard SA trigger on following shots., or

• You can start from cocked & locked, carried or stored with the safety engaged
Going to a slightly heavier hammer spring will stiffen the trigger just a little (making it less "hair-trigger-like") but it'll stay just as crisp. You can get several different springs and try different weights. Changing a hammer spring is relatively simple, and I'm sure Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom can suggest the best weight for what you want to do, and send it to your quickly.

If you haven't already done so, check for solutions on the CZ Forum -- there are a lot shooters there running that same gun. Here's a link: https://www.czfirearms.us/

Two good sources for parts are Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom -- they, like the CZ Forum, can also be a good source for guidance and advice.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 5, 2020 at 05:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.02558 seconds with 8 queries