View Single Post
Old October 18, 2019, 11:39 AM   #38
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgunowner
This is why I hate political debates, and make no mistake that's what this whole thread is.
Do you really hate them, or are you engaging in one broadly?

(Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but the theme of the thread is somewhat more narrow.)

Quote:
Here's the danger that hasn't been discussed. Many gun owners don't want their guns confiscated or bought back, but they also aren't one issue voters.
I agree that many voters aren't single issue voters, and would add that there are social and ideological alignments that can influence a voter. In the environment of the last decade at the national level, there has been some ideological alignment of those who see the COTUS as an important limit on federal power generally and those who seek protection of 2d Am. rights.

That doesn't mean the alignment is perfect, but the pattern is discernible.

Quote:
Our only protection in the long term is the Supreme court, but sometime over the next 20 years don't be surprised if that swings the other way and we lose even that small defense.
I think the Court is very important and encourage nomination and confirmation of justices who read the COTUS as an important legal document. I would not suggest that it is the only protection. It's only a bump in the road if a solid majority want to disregard constitutional protections. Nothing beats strong political organization and wide support.

Page generated in 0.03137 seconds with 8 queries