View Single Post
Old January 12, 2017, 11:18 AM   #15
stephen426

I think trigger time is important as is practicing drawing your weapon. There are laser training aids called LaserLyte that allow for trigger time without wasting ammo and does not require going to the range. This allows for training with the actual weapon you are carrying with identical points of aim and trigger pulls.

I believe that the most important aspects of training is getting your weapon into play and acquiring your target quickly. Most ranges do not allow drawing from concealment so that is best done at home (obviously with an unloaded weapon).

Another training tool is using Airsoft guns. Try and get one that closely matches your carry weapon. There are lots of Airsoft revolvers on this site I found. I used to practice a lot with Airsoft by going from low ready and bringing up the gun as quickly as possible and firing as soon as I was on target. I got to the point that the gun became and extension of my hand and was able to shoot 2 inch groups from about 15 feet away in under 1 second from low ready.

Obviously these training aids ignore recoil and muzzle blast, but if you are able to get your weapon into play quickly and your muscle memory allows you to get on target, your opponent will be hit before you even feel the effect of the muzzle blast and recoil. Adrenaline will kick in and hopefully muscle memory takes over. That is why practice is so important, especially practicing with what you carry.

At most self defense distances, absolute marksmanship usually takes a back seat to rapid weapon deployment and getting hits on target quickly. The above is just my opinion and thankfully I have never been forced to use my gun in self defense. I did draw my weapon on someone who approached my car very suddenly and aggressively once. This was at 2 am in the morning in a Taco Bell parking lot. To make a long story short, I drew the gun from my center console (which I had practiced multiple times), and had the gun in my hand before he even reached my window (my hands were on the steering wheel when he started moving). It was like time slowed down and I even had the presence of mind to not point the gun right at him (for fear of a gun grab or pushing the gun down to where I would have to shoot through the door). The guy saw I had my gun out and mumbled something about he was drunk and screwing around. I guess seeing my gun had a sobering effect on him and he split. I had 3 other people in the car and they freaked out about how fast I was able to draw my gun. I estimate it was easily under 2 seconds from the time he started moving from the hood of my car to my driver side window.

Train well and train often. Almost any training is better than no training!

Page generated in 0.02660 seconds with 8 queries