View Single Post
Old February 11, 2020, 11:16 PM   #90
Ralph III

Quote:
quote by TBM 900...."If you have to have it "instantly available".... then you've already FAILED.

Long before one considers a firearm, they need to plan and put in place the means to slow criminals down -AND- warn the occupants before entry is made. This notion of "instantly available" etc, is just an emotional crutch used by the unprepared. Criminals aren't going to fast rope through your windows guns blazing. It's just a silly notion.

The reality is that you aren't doing your family any favors if you do not have early warning and barriers to slow entry."
I agree with most of what you stated but you inadvertently created an "emotional crutch" and a false sense of security as well with your post.

First, I got into professional alarm systems as a hobby and have sold and installed many over decades. Criminals are fully aware people have alarm systems, btw. Given such, many resort to what is called "smash and grab". They will indeed smash into a window or door and grab as much as they can as quickly as they can. They know there may be an alarm system and yes some or many will have a weapon on them.

So it is prudent to have a gun "instantly available" and that shouldn't be diminished in any way. There was actually a video recently of this exact scenario, whereas three thugs smashed in a front door and immediately entered a residence. The owner must have had his weapon beside his bed because he quickly exchanged gunfire with the first suspect as the suspect peered into the master bedroom door. The three thugs quickly fled but the elderly home owner did suffer a minor gunshot wound by the perp. All of this took place in less than 10 seconds and was captured on his surveillance camera/cam.

So you are grossly wrong to state such is a "silly" notion. It happens quite often and some folks aren't as lucky. A violent criminal is going to be armed and "smash and grab" is a technique thieves use.

Having said all of that, what should be promoted is redundant safety measures.

*Your first defense (exterior) is looking for vulnerabilities to your home and addressing them. Do not leave the garage open or cars unlocked or valuables in plain sight (etc). You should install motion lights and/or exterior cameras (fake or real). Maintain low shrubbery and have burglar alarm decals posted (on windows and on lawn). Those efforts will discourage most or many would-be-thieves.

*The second defense is beefing up doors and windows as needed or practical and keeping them locked.

*The third defense is installing an alarm system.

*The last defense is a firearm.

There are numerous other things you can do (neighborhood watch, etc) but this is a good general start and practical. None of them should be considered sufficient by themselves, which is what you were attempting to convey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to the subject.

1) The first thing you should do is teach your children about firearms and the dangers thereof at a very young age. This accomplishes two things. *It removes their curiosity. *You teach them SAFETY and RESPONSIBILITY first (emphasis added).

This is what I did. I purchased a CO2 pellet pistol (Beretta 92F) without a CO2 cartridge or pellets. I then fully explained the gun to my daughters and the dangers thereof. I then left the pellet gun on a tv tray stand in the common area of our home for several days. During that time I watched my daughters carefully and unbeknownst to them, as they constantly walked past or played near the pellet gun. At no time did they approach the pellet gun or show curiosity with it. They were very young but what I had stressed to them worked.

Upon putting the pellet gun away I again explained that they were never to touch a gun without my permission or being present. I then explained they were to immediately leave and find an adult if they ever witnessed another child messing with a firearm.

If you have a firearm and children, then it is extremely important to teach them about it and to satisfy their curiosity. A fake firearm can do just that. I started shooting at age 6, btw. which is nearly 50 years ago now.

2) I keep my firearm (Kahr 9mm semi auto) in the closet on a high shelf that only adults know about and can reach. It is quickly accessible if necessary.

3) When we have visiting children I keep our guns in a bio-metric gun safe and make our bedroom off limits.

4) I would never keep a gun with an empty chamber and consider that an adequate safety measure. There is just to much that could go wrong. You may forget to rack the gun under stress in case of a home invasion. You may forget to empty the chamber before sticking it in the night stand.

If I kept it in the night stand it would be in a gun safe or I'd have some sort of lock or hidden latch on the night stand drawer.

See JMR40's post as well. It was very good.

God Bless,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; February 11, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.03948 seconds with 8 queries