View Single Post
Old December 29, 2013, 09:47 AM   #49
Houndog

Eppie, actually I don't have a can at the end of my barrel.

And as far as weight is concerned, I suppose it's all relative. I have a .22 that probably weighs 5.5 pounds. And I've shot 50 bmg's that weigh 30 pounds. With a decent scope and a full mag, a POF308 with a 20" barrel is going to weigh 11+ pounds. Does that make the rifle unshootable? Of course not. But if you are used to an AR15 or a hunting rifle, you're going to notice the weight. Since I'm not sure if the original poster had ever held or shot a POF308, I thought the weight was at least worth mentioning. If he has other rifles that weigh in at 10-12 pounds, the weight is not going to be an issue. However, if he's used to 6-7 pound rifles it might be. Also, although all semi-auto 308's are going to be heavier than a comparable AR 15, my sense is that pistons in general (and the POF in particular) tend to be on the heavy side. For example, I also own a PWS in 5.56, and have shot a POF in this caliber, and the POF is both heavier and heavier in the front.

One other point I neglected to mention on the POF, the handguards/rail tend to be pretty thick. Again this may not be an issue for the OP, but is something to be aware of.

Finally, as to why a 14.5 inch barrel on a .308, I live on the east coast, so opportunities for me to shoot out beyond 300 yards are few and far between. Almost all of my shooting is between 50 and 200 yards. At these distances I really don't need anything beyond a 14.5 inch barrel. Of course at these distances I suppose I don't need a 308 at all. But by that logic I don't need 1/2 of guns I own - something my wife has pointed out to me on a number of occasions.

Page generated in 0.02389 seconds with 8 queries