View Single Post
Old August 19, 2012, 09:51 AM   #5
kraigwy

First off I want to point out, any gun can malfunction, they are machines after all.

I've seen the documentary on Remington's. Assuming they were right and did "go off" when they weren't suppose. There were some traget events in that film............................................BUT.........................every friggen one of them (injuries and property damage) could have been avoided if one would follow the 4 basic safety rules.

Lets assume that the trigger did release when no one had their finger on it.

OK, lets take the case where the round went though the camper injuring the child..............what would happen if that rifle was pointed up and down range like it was suppose to be...... no injury, no property damage.

Go back and watch the documentary again and each time, there was property damage or injury, one or more of the four basic rules were violated.

I've screwed up clearing guns I thought were empty and weren't (every time I unload a gun I point it in a safe direction and let the hammer fall). But when I screwed up and let a round off unexpectedly, it was pointed at my pistol target which has a safe background (friggin mountain). In the field I point it at a dirt bank or something similar. It if goes off, nothing is hurt.

Also I've never seen the need for carrying a round in the chamber while hunting. If on the range and not pointing at the target my long guns have a ECI (Empty Chamber indicator) in the chamber. It's impossible to have a round go off if there is one of those puppies in the chamber.

RANT OFF

Now as to Remington 700s, I have a Remington BDL Varmint in 223 that I got to use in LE in 1978, it still shoots today and has never gone off when it wasn't suppose to. It has had some pretty ruff treatment, Bouncing around in the trunk of a police car for over 15 years. I've even taken it to Guard Drills and Jumped with it (I was in an Airborne Unit). To my knowledge that rifle has never been taken out of the stock, I bought it new. I'd trust my life (and have) on that trigger.

I also have a Remington action I used to build my grand son a hunting rifle. It was a piece of junk when I got it. The trigger looked like someone was trying to modify it..............would it malfunction? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. Since it was for my grandson I put a timmley trigger in it just to make me feel better.

Timmly triggers are safe, good, and relatively cheap. If you're worried about it, replace it, if not then use your Remington trigger.

Personally I'm a Model 70 guy, but its not because of the Remington triggers.

I think Remington got a bad rap on the trigger deal.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02961 seconds with 8 queries