Thread: 1:66 Twist
View Single Post
Old March 12, 2011, 04:26 PM   #14
Rifleman1776

HH said: "1:48 is a good medium between conicals and round balls but it isn't the best for either."

See, I told you it was a non-ending argument. HH I know master gun builders and some championship shooters (all prb) who will argue until the campfire is cold that you are wrong.
If you visit the G.M. Davis gun museum in Claremore, OK, you will find all their guns, thousands of them, are very nicely labeled with spec. data. The muzzle loaders look to be 90% 1:48 barrels. Them old timers had some kinda preference for that twist.
I can't speak for maxis, conical, etc. but I do believe any of the popular prb twists can be dialed in for top accuracy. The 1:48 will work fine with lesser charges and will work OK with heavier but not necessarily 'X' center accuracy.
Personally, I lean towards the 1:66 as an all arounder. Requires heavier charges for top accuracy but accepts very heavy charges for hunting situations with no loss of accuracy.
Please note, I didn't say you are wrong. Just pointing out there are those, with impressive credentials, who will say you are. Many believe it is the best for round balls.
I will agree with you that it is a very good "medium" choice and that is why it is found in many, if not most, factory made muzzle loading rifles. Good comprimise.

Page generated in 0.02245 seconds with 8 queries