View Single Post
Old August 13, 2010, 12:05 PM   #70
Magnum-PI

"Are you kidding me! Someone walks off the street, apparently drunk or deranged walks up your driveway and starts clubbing your car while you are standing there. Sorry folks, at that point, my gun comes out - I will draw on this person."

You have to justify what you do ultimately to either a judge or jury up against an experienced prosecutor. I would rather have my insurance company take care of the damage to the car or even pay for the damages out of pocket then wonder what a judge or jury might think of me.

If you draw on someone, then you have to articulate as to why it was neccessary to protect yourself. Police officers have spokesman, attornies, the union, the law, etc on their side when they draw their pistols. However, all you will get is a public defender or be out a lot of money hiring your own attorney. There will be no police chief or union backing up your actions.

Honestly, I would not draw my weapon even if there was a fist fight in my driveway. Although its a violent incident, its not really one where deadly force needs to be used.

The locality you are in might automatically put all people who draw their weapons or fire them off in front of a grand jury. It will be up to a grand jury to decide if the case proceeds then there will be a trial if they say yes. You do not want to be put in that position.

Page generated in 0.02676 seconds with 8 queries