View Single Post
Old December 16, 2016, 10:26 PM   #9
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I own an Heritage Rough Rider SAA 357 mag revolver. This gun is supposed the same as the Pietta 1873 SAA model in 357 mag. Pietta confirmed me the gun is made by them for Heritage (imported to USA). Made in Italy it states on the gun.
The gun seems to have the same dimensions as the Colt SAA 1873 model. That means the cylinders has the same dimensions but is in the smaller 357 mag caliber. That makes the cylinder more beefy as it has more steel between the holes and overall more forged steel in the cylinder as the SAA in 45 Long Colt. The 45 LC indeed has very thin cylinder walls. This one in 357 mag has very thick cylinder walls. That means it withstands more pressure and is overbuilt.
The Pietta is made of forged steel. That is allways stronger than cast or MIM guns like the Rugers.
So Rugers seems to be stronger but really have thicker metal since you have to make cast metal thicker to get the same strength as forged steel. So the Rugers are not really stronger but appear only to be thicker. The Pietta is as strong as the Ruger is.

Only after 3 cylinders you start to loose the screws of the SAA models. Locktite them and you never loose a screw anymore.
The Pietta in all regards is a very nice built strong revolver. Way better than the Taurus I had.
They are worthed it.

Page generated in 0.03345 seconds with 8 queries