View Single Post
Old March 9, 2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"In my opinion, this wouldn't be too much trouble for a well experienced reloader, with knowledge of case capacity vs pressure."

I've got nearly 40 years of experience in loading .38 and .357 and I won't do it.

'Didn't the .357 magnum grow from guys like Elmer Kieth loading "over spec" loads in .38 special cases to be fired in their 38/44 S&W, and other heavy framed pistols?'

Yes.

I don't know what powders Keith used, but I'm pretty sure that Phil Sharpe was usinging primarily SR and IMR powders, which have a known reputation for being VERY forgiving in terms of hot loading, something that is not nearly as true of modern ball powders.

The question is, though, why disinvent the wheel when those individuals spent a lot of time, and probably prematurely retired more than a few guns, inventing the wheel in the first place?

And, given that the OP says that he doesn't own a .38 Special, and would be firing them out of a .357 magnum, what possible benevfit could be derived from this?

Other than, of course, the potential for some very interesting pressure excursions that might crop up at any time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03473 seconds with 8 queries