View Single Post
Old January 11, 2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove

I received the CED M2 as a Christmas gift this year. I immediately set it up and began firing rubber bands through the screens inside the house to try it out. (I don't have any air rifles anymore, and I live in town.) It registered every shot!

I briefly toyed with the idea of setting up some kind of trap and shooting my MK II pistol in the hallway, but cooler heads prevailed. (Housemates came home)

The CED M2 unit interfaces beautifully with my computer, I just installed the included software and plugged in the included USB. I can print, export to csv, excel, etc. The unit does "power" calculations for whichever sporting event requires that, but not ballistics, CED assume you will use your own software.

The build quality of the unit itself is acceptable, it doesn't feel like a piece of laboratory grade stuff, but doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart, either. The sky screens are plastic and are a little weird to set up at first, but look like they will last, assuming they aren't shot. Be forewarned that their recommendation to use a professional grade tripod is accurate, my $20.00 Wal-mart special will hold it up, but is very wobbly.

I reccomend an empty range for your first outing, it took me quite a while to get the tripod set just right (much lower than you would think), get lined up with the target, etc. It would be frustrating to have to wait through several firing cycles to get all set up.

The instructions are very complete, if a little poorly written. It appears that the folks who write these forget that we don't all build chronographs for a living. The manual answered all the questions I had, it was just a little awkward to read at times.

I'm going back to the range Wednesday, so I'll post how the CED M2 operates in 25° to 32° weather. Unless it's warmer, which would be fine by me.

Page generated in 0.02710 seconds with 8 queries