View Single Post
Old January 5, 2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I have to say that I really never thought that I would live to see the 2nd amendment recognized in any material way in my lifetime.
Yep. Same here

Quote:
I'm just hoping we're not counting our chickens before they are hatched re McDonald v. Chicago. Reading pro RKBA sites suggest the case is a slam dunk. Are there sites that are anti that are suggesting the complete opposite?
None. Even the briefs in support of Chicago seem to accept some kind of incorporation as a done deal. The big question is which kind.

Quote:
For example, challenging laws barring felons from owning firearms is a waste of time and does nothing to further the interests of gun owners.
Check out US v. Skoien. There are violent felonies, and there are statutory ones. There are some pretty stupid laws that keep people from owning guns, and some of those need to be challenged.

Most likely, Illinois will be ground zero following a pro-2A decision. We'll see restrictions on ownership challenged first, such as state-level assault weapons bans and tax-based registrations.

From there, it's a hard game to call. But it'll be a fun one to watch.

Page generated in 0.03218 seconds with 8 queries