View Single Post
Old November 19, 2009, 08:43 PM   #15
Checkmate14

Let me Clarify

What you are talking about are commerical sales. Massachusetts has two sets of lists that dealers must comply with in order to commercially sell handguns. One list is the Approved Roster. Any handgun commerically sold after 1998 must be on that list. The Approved Roster is further limited by guns that meet the Attorney Genernal's safety requirments. Unfortunately, the AG's office does not publish a list of Compliant guns. These two lists only apply to the commerical sale of handguns.

An individual may possess a handgun whether it appears on the Approved Roster or not, regardless of when it was made. There is no requirement that the handgun be lawfully possessed in Massachusetts before 1998.

The problem that most people run into is that you may want to buy a new gun that is not on the approved roster nor meet the AG's safety specs. For instance a Springfield Armory XD is not on either list, however, they can be legally possessed in MA. It is however, almost impossible to lawfully get one in MA as even out of state purchases to MA residents must comply with both lists. These requirements only apply to commerical sales. A private sale does not need to comply with these requirments

I digress, the real issue is buying C&R handguns. As long as the gun was made before 1998 it can be lawfully sold and purchased in MA regardless of whether it is on the Approved Roster or MA compliant. So, you can buy all of the WWII pistols you want (that is if you can find them in MA or you can find an out of state dealer to ship to you).

I hope this helps.

The MA gun laws suck.

Page generated in 0.03110 seconds with 8 queries