View Single Post
Old March 17, 2010, 02:28 PM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

The egg yolk thing sounds silly, but New Jersey tried exactly that several years ago.

The state's health regulations mandated that restaurants and diners had to serve eggs with yolks that had been heated to 140 deg.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_11851335/

It caused something of a revolution in the state, and it was rescinded within a year after New Jersey became a laughingstock.

Currently there's a lawmaker in New York City who is trying to ban restaurants from adding any salt to food.

They've already done it with trans-fats. Straight fat is going to be there one of these days.

And some years ago New York City raised the taxes on a pack of cigarettes so that they were over $7 a pack. They said at the time it was a method of getting people to stop smoking, by taxing their vice, but so many people started going outside the city that it wasn't long before the same people who called it a health issue started crying about the lost tax revenue (pretty clear what they really wanted out of it).

I see absolutely nothing good coming out of a government mandated health system. We all know that the promises are total bull****, and that within a few years, when this fails, it will only lead to even greater incursions of the government into the healthcare system to 'make if function better,' with commensurate regulations designed to protect you from yourself.

Crap. I fear that I'm about to tip over into partisan politics... Sigh.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03383 seconds with 8 queries