View Single Post
Old June 4, 2020, 12:33 AM   #14
mellow_c

It’s hard to say, but based on the OP’s first post, I’d throw away the foam. And take everything else outside to start cleaning.

I’d disassemble the rifle as much as possible without removing the barrel, buffer tube, or driving out pins on the lower. Take out the buffer and buffer spring, detent and spring, BCG, trigger group, safety, grip, handguard, on and on. I’d even consider taking off the scope and mounts and re mounting it later.

This is of course, if you really want it to be perfect.

Then I’d keep all the parts separated and organized in groups. I’d find some kind of big plastic bin (or use a bathtub) and then I’d spray and rinse everything with a garden hose. Then soak it all in the bin with water and plain old dish soap and scrub it all with a soft brush. Then rinse everything one bit at a time with the hose extremely well as you pull it out of the soapy water. Do it on a warm sunny day if possible and towel dry each part and lay it out on a clean dry sheet immediately after rinsing. Use compressed air to blow everything out the best you can, like the barrel, gas tube, and every single area you can think of, then use WD40 to spray out all the areas where water might still be after having laid out in the sun or using compressed air.

Wash all the small parts separately, probably indoors, being careful not to lose them down a drain or something.

Then clean and lube with your normal products and reassemble.

Wash out the shell of the case and get new foam.

Done.

Could take most of a day to do it all, but it sure would be clean, dry, and ready to go!

Last edited by mellow_c; June 4, 2020 at 12:39 AM.

Page generated in 0.02548 seconds with 8 queries