View Single Post
Old October 21, 2005, 11:08 AM   #53
biere

Gee, I forget how many times I reground a knife blade to put a point back on the blade. I even got good enough to do it without hurting the temper of the blade.

My best advice is to buy something strong and pointy. My cold steel tanto is good but if buying something to learn on I would go with an estwing hatchet since they are all metal from handle to blade and I would buy a piece of bar or something as well, like a prybar or something with a point on the end.

I never learned how to change turns and what not, I sort of started throwing and with changing distances and throwing objects my brain kind of picked up on adjusting how I hold things. As mentioned everything has a balance point and your arm speed changes things as well a bit.

I compare it to how I learned to shoot a bow and arrow in the scouts over 20 years ago. There were no sights on the bow and you just learned how to point shoot the bow through lots of repitition. If you changed the distance and target height you were shooting at a lot you started learning the trajectory of that bow with that weight of arrow.

And I should mention it was darn funny when I got a compound bow with sites on it.

I like being able to throw things. I do it with all sorts of stuff and I won't say I am great at it but when I am throwing a few things every day I get up to around 80% or so I guess. I do lots of yardwork and build things and take things apart. Doing this gives me hammers and pry bars and rebar and shovels and all sorts of stuff to throw around. Mostly when taking a break it is nice to throw my prybar or something somewhere so it is sticking out and noticable when I get back from break.

And someone mentioned throwing stars and I hated those things because I bought the cheap ones and tried to sharpen them.

My dad had all sorts of old tools and never threw anything away so one day while looking through stuff I found some tiny circular saw blades. I believe they are for the original dremal type stuff that came way before the dremel of today.

Anyway these blades were like a circular saw blade but about 4 inches in diameter. So they were like a throwing star but way better made than anything I ever bought as a throwing star. Of course they were also darn dangerous and could tear your hand up if you held it wrong.

I don't plan to ever throw a knife at an opponent or anything else. I just enjoy it as a hobby and skill.

Page generated in 0.02341 seconds with 8 queries