View Single Post
Old January 6, 2013, 11:51 PM   #45
Sevens

Good news & bad news!

The Good news: I rolled some totally new loads and range tested them yesterday. At short range, all were beautifully accurate and absolutely safe with zero signs of high pressure of any manner.

The Bad news: It's winter, it's cold. I have not chrono'd these loads. I absolutely will do that when the weather is warmer, but it'll be a while. I've already got a bunch of them rolled specifically for chrono testing and I will update this thread with those results. I did want to post these thus far anyhow, for two reasons. First reason is that I handloaded for a couple decades, pure unbridled SUCCESS without a chrono, so I'll never ever EVER subscribe to any mantra where a chrono is "required" for this ballgame. Second reason is that having these posted here NOW will remind me and spur me to post chrono results after I've clocked them.

On to the goodies!

All primed with CCI-400, small rifle primers.
All Federal non-nickel brass, many times fired.
All bullets are Hornady, loaded to cannelure for a COAL, iirc, of 1.460".
All fired from my 4.2" barrel Ruger GP-100.

85gr XTP over 13.3gr Alliant 300-MP
85gr XTP over 14.7gr Alliant 300-MP
*WARNING! This is -not- published data from either Alliant or Hornady, I used the load data provided by Handloader magazine and graciously posted above by FrankenMauser as my guide for building these loads.

85gr XTP over 13.0gr AA#9
85gr XTP over 14.2gr AA#9
*WARNING! This bullet weight/powder combination is NOT supported by published load data from Accurate. I based this on their published max load for the 90 grain Sierra bullet with a published max of 15.0 grains of AA#9.

100gr XTP over 13.3gr Alliant 300-MP
100gr XTP over 14.3gr Alliant 300-MP
*WARNING! This is -not- published data from either Alliant or Hornady, I used the load data provided by Handloader magazine and graciously posted above by FrankenMauser as my guide for building these loads.

100gr XTP over 12.0gr AA#9
100gr XTP over 13.0gr AA#9--this is a published MAXIMUM load
*These loads are published in Accurate's edition 3.5 guide and as noted, the last load is a published maximum load.

What I observed...the lower loads shown powered by Alliant Power Pro MP-300 were really calm, cool and collected. if chrono testing should happen to show these lower loads as returning some speed, it'll make for a really slick load as they are a pleasure to shoot.

The heavier charges of Power Pro MP-300 were much more harsh and ballsy, more what you'd expect when going full-bore.

HOWEVER...all of the Alliant Power Pro MP-300 loads were noticeably more tame, more predictable and more sedate than -ANY- of the tested loads with AA#9. Here is where chrono results would sure be a nice addition to this post! The AA#9 loads were very large in blast, fireball and felt recoil.

All of the above loads showed NO signs of excess pressure with regards to primer inspection, brass inspection, ejection of brass, erratic discharge or erratic results on target. I feel 100% safe in making more of these.

Because of the way the short range trip unfolded, I was able to shoot these at *gulp* only seven yards. Please don't flog me. On the flip side, we are talking one hole groups for much of them, when I was trying my best. Proper accuracy testing has -NOT- been undertaken.

Much thanks to FrankenMauser for adding those bits from Handloader to our thread. I feel good about going forth with something, anything, rather than winging it entirely.

Page generated in 0.02697 seconds with 8 queries