View Single Post
Old September 26, 2010, 08:38 AM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
The main potential problems I've heard of -- timing issues, ejector rod coming loose, grit under the star -- are all possibilities with DA. What types of reliability issues might be encountered with SA?
I've had the ejector rod on my blackhawk work loose. Some I know have had it launch when the screw finally backed out.

Under normal range use, though, I don't think either platforms get pushed hard enough to find their real limits. Competition, though, is hard on revolvers, and I'm betting good SAA shooters can offer a myriad of ways a SA can fail. I recall reading top SAA shooters have 3 guns: one they shoot, one backup and one that's being repaired.

As far as a DA revolver, I've had my L-frame 686 for about 4 years, using it for general range use with no reliability issues whatsoever. Clearly a reliable and durable gun. I started competitively shooting with it at the beginning of the year, though (mostly IDPA, but some ICORE & USPSA, too), and practicing my butt off with it (dry- and live-fire), and it broke during a major match last weekend. A closer inspection revealed it not only needed a fix, but a much-needed tune-up as well. This was from only 7 months of hard use.

Lesson learned: The myth of revolver reliability becomes clear when they're used hard. Inspect and tune-up competition revolver(s) regularly and pack a back-up gun before heading off to a match.

Page generated in 0.03712 seconds with 8 queries