View Single Post
Old February 17, 2007, 12:52 AM   #43
JollyRoger

My home defense gun is a baseball bat. I have small kids, and the gun goes in the safe immediately upon getting home, comes back out when I go to work. Two dogs and security doors provide a good deal of security as well. In a decent neighborhood, the likelihood of a burglary of an occupied dwelling is very low. As for the "bump key" (which is really just a rake pick), the crime statistics show that burglars just don't use them. In over 90% of home burglaries, the burglar kicks or otherwise forces the door. Next up is forcing or breaking a window, but that is not so popular because you get injured by broken glass. Most burglaries also involve entry during daylight hours, when people are at work. Most of the home invasions or forced-entry violent situations you hear about on the news are domestics or criminal-on-criminal, though the news doesn't say so.

On the other hand, the likelihood of a curious kid getting an unsecured weapon, or the likelihood of a mistaken-identity shooting is all too real. Ever notice how kids like to jump out and scare people, or remember sneaking in and out of the house as a teenager? I like guns, am a LEO and a range instructor, but sometimes you have to go with rational probabilities. If you need a semi-auto rifle, a shotgun and a pistol by your bedside to feel safe, you need to move.

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 8 queries