View Single Post
Old February 2, 2014, 09:47 AM   #40
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
As to the squib issue I find it laughable. My lifetime around guns in and out of the military and law enforcement along with everyone I have ever met in and out of the military and law enforcement none have ever seen a squib or hang fire. I think they are issues of a bygone era and simply not possible with modern ammunition and firearms.

Just a primer will drive a bullet through the barrel of any firearm I own. If you don't believe me try it yourself. Even a 91/30 with a long barrel and a 40 year old primer drove the bullet through the barrel went 5 yards and stuck in an oak log.
Well, I can tell you that a few years ago I had a squib with commercial 44 Special ammo. I do not remember at this point what brand it was, but it certainly locked up the gun, an old S&W 44 Hand Ejector, 3rd Model. The squib happened and the bullet lodged halfway out of the chamber and halfway into the forcing cone. When I drove the bullet back into the chamber, and unloaded the chamber I was surprised to see fresh, unburnt powder fall out of the chamber. Turns out there was no flash hole in the primer pocket! The punch that makes the flash hole must have broken, there was an indentation of where there should be a hole, but no actual hole. So the powder never lit. It took me a while to figure out exactly what had happened. The flash hole punch had struck the bottom of the primer pocket, and had ruptured the brass enough to make some pin holes and cracks, but had not made a real flash hole. So the primer pressure was enough to force the bullet out of the case, and bind up the gun, but not enough to light the powder. This was with commercial ammo, so yes, poop can happen.

As far as primers driving a bullet all the way out of the barrel, I can't tell you how many times I have helped drive a bullet out of the bore at a Cowboy match. Inexperienced reloaders have either not put any powder in the case, or not put in enough. Bottom line is a bullet stuck in the forcing cone, stuck there by just the primer. No where near enough pressure to get the bullet all the way out of the barrel. Seen this happen many times.

Page generated in 0.03498 seconds with 8 queries