View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 01:26 AM   #41
Lost Sheep

Curious: Where from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbeagle
I am going to purchase a Lee Precision CLASSIC TURRET PRESS KIT. Any recommendations on powder scales and brass cleaners?
Did you select a supplier yet? The only kit I know of that doesn't include a scale is Kempf's.

The Lee Scale is inexpensive, but accurate. However it only goes to 110 grains and requires you know how to use a vernier scale. Ohaus makes virtually all other beam scales. The 505 is very popular and reasonably priced, but I have a 10-10 and find it easier to use than the 505. It has a drum on a threaded rod to indicates tenths of grains instead of moving a little weight. Either will do very well for you.

edit: Check out this thread. I just found it, so haven't read it yet, but the forum is pretty reliable, so it will be full of good information on scales.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=700755

Electronic scales are iffy in the lower price range.

Cleaning brass? I can break it down into 5 different methods.

Wet tumbling with stainless steel pins (I have no experience with this method. There might be two varieties, rotary and vibratory.)

Dry Tumbling with a drum-type (rotary) device (like a lapidary rock polisher)

Dry Tumbling with a vibratory tumbler with a cleaning media like crushed walnut shells and such.

Washing with detergent or soap and water

Wiping down with a soft cloth to remove grit.

Any will do.

If you are handy, you can even make brass cleaning tumblers yourself.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 4, 2013 at 01:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.03739 seconds with 8 queries