View Single Post
Old July 31, 2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Get active

While I don't really think any of these recent gun-control measures has much of a chance of passage, I would suggest that now is the time to get active. Write to your senators and representatives. Remind them that this ploy needs to fail. If you don't know who your people are, go look here:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Also, here's what I sent in. You may all feel free to copy, paste, plagiarize and edit as you see fit:
--------------------------------------------
Dear ______,
By way of introduction, my name is ______, and I am an attorney in _____, Arkansas. In fact, I am many things: husband, father, attorney, hunter, and gun owner, just to name a few. I have been following legal developments in Washington for quite some time, and, in particular, those events that might impact my rights under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and its counterpart under the Arkansas Constitution.

I have recently read that several disturbing bills and amendments have been offered in the wake of the Aurora, Colorado, shooting, including: (1) an amendment to a Cybersecurity bill which would affect possession or transfer of magazines with a capacity greater than ten rounds; and (2) a bill which would effectively ban internet ammunition sales by requiring presentation of photo identification and record-keeping on ammunition sales. While I certainly grieve for the families that lost loved ones in Aurora, Colorado, and in the other mass shootings that have occurred, I urge you to oppose bills such as those listed with all of the resources at your disposal. The problem with mass shooters is typically a mental health issue more than anything. I liken bills such as the ones I listed to a bill that would make it more difficult for sober drivers to purchase cars, on the theory that some other person might drive while intoxicated. Neither violent criminals nor the mentally ill can reasonably be expected to obey any such law. Only law-abiding citizens will be adversely affected. I believe the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports on cities such as New York, Chicago, and Washington D.C., which have some of the most stringent gun control laws in the country, will bear out my assertion that gun control laws do not decrease violent crime, but only disarm potential victims.

Thank you for your time and attention in this.

Cordially,
INSERT YOUR NAME HERE

Last edited by Spats McGee; July 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.02401 seconds with 8 queries