View Single Post
Old January 29, 2001, 10:26 PM   #11
Steve Smith

Romulous, I started on a progressive. I had a tutor for the first "getting feet wet" session. I picked it up pretty quick. I'm sure you could find someone in your area who would love to help. That's one thing about handloaders, we love to help others learn to load. Where are you?

Anyway, yes, you can learn on a progressive, if you're of sound mind. Some folks shouldn't start on a progressive, I don't think. You'll have to decide whether you're sharp enough for it or not. (It's not brain surgery, but it does require you to pay attention.) The turret, I believe, is the best starter press. I didn't know much about them when I started, or I would've started with that. It's much faster than a single stage, but you control the speed totally and you're only doing one operation at a time, so you can focus easier. Even after you get a progressive, you can still find a lot of uses for the turret. BTW, take a look at Natches Shooter Supply. They have an "Expert Reloaders Kit" for their T-Mag II that is a real bargain for such a good press, scales, trimmer, tumbler I think, and all kinds of other goodies. The term "Expert" is kinda funny, as it makes it sound like the accesories that it comes with are only for "experts" but they're things that every handloader should have.

Go ahead and pass judgement on Lee...these guys here know I hate 'em. I'm glad I just had the presence of mind to not throw it out the back door, and instead, sold it for $90. I then bought a Dillon 550B and have not stopped smiling yet.

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries