Thread: 308 Win for Elk
View Single Post
Old March 30, 2010, 05:46 PM   #11
30-30remchester

I guided for elk for 9 years and with my lifetime in Colorado I have seen well over 100 elk taken. I am a terminal ballistician, that is a person that autopsys every animal taken and I collect recovered bullets that have been removed from animal with over 100 in my collection. All this is to help qualify my next few statements. I much prefer Nosler Partions for everything from coyotes up. Am wondering why you wouldnt just by a box of premimum bullets for elk hunting? A single box should last for years. Doesnt the animal deserve the best? That being said I have seen plenty of elk taken cleanly with standard cup and core bullets. However I have seen Remington core-lokt completely desintagrate in as little as 4" of penatration on small deer. I have had miserable luck with Sierra bullets on big game yet people I respect have had very good luck and penatration with both. However I wonder how many elk have been shot at and thought had been missed by the hunter, that had actually being hit poorly or with improper bullet, and the animal escaped to die a slow miserable death. Yes most SHOULD work well as long as broadside lung shots are taken, but dont try any quartering shots without the best penatrating bullets. Remember elk hunting isnt like what you see on those canned tv shows, many times it takes years to even see an elk and when you do it could be anything but broadside. As to the 308 Win cartridge it should be fine as the 30-06 has probably killed more elk in Colorado than all other calibers and the 30-06 only has @75 yard advantage.

Page generated in 0.02609 seconds with 8 queries