View Single Post
Old April 16, 2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

Quote:
Seeing how a steel plate reacts to being hit isn't very helpful at all.
Well, the 44 moved the gong violently as if hit hard by a hefty sledge-hammer, while the 30-30 got a good reaction but more like being struck with a farriers cross-peen hammer. May not be very precise, but it's not entirely un-scientific as an observed event that can readily be duplicated.
Quote:
That is measuring momentum and momentum doesn't really predict anything when related to killing critters.
Neither does foot-pounds of energy, which seems to be a biased equation that regards velocity as being more important than mass of the projectile. The reality is that both have a significant factor. I'm not much of a math guy, so I will leave that to others.
The observation indicates that within closer ranges, the 44 magnum is somewhat more powerful than a 30-30. I have no doubt that the 30-30 will have a ballistic advantage as the range increases, and that there are other variables, such as the actual bullets used, etc. But the main thing that stood out, is that a 44 magnum carbine makes a heck of a woods rifle.

Page generated in 0.02258 seconds with 8 queries