View Single Post
Old July 29, 2001, 01:25 AM   #12
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Personally, I'm using the Sierra 180 GameKIng in .30-06 & have had excellent results - but, that is at a spec'd 2700 fps - certainly lower than the .300+s. It's accounted for a good 8 elk & is a very accurate bullet. Weight retention/penetration is "right there." Sometimes we find the bullet, sometimes it blows through the other side. Point is - we always find the elk. Enough said for performance.

I also use the Barnes XBT in .308 Rem M7 & .309 JDJ TC pistol. Each are right at 2400 fps. I couldn't find another bullet in the weight range that is spec'd to expand at this velocity (Barnes claims 1600 fps as minimum expansion velocity & that's well w/in any shootable distance for either of these shooters). Although many will at 2400fps, the bullet won't be going that fast further out. +, Barnes claims better penetration than "standard" bullets & I wanted to check up on that "edge."

Shot one elk - ~15 yds, butt-on with the Barnes & it blew right through - ~5' of penetation. Only elk experience I have w/'em to date - ask me again in late October. One deer at about 35 yds broadside, but any bullet would have done the trick there ...

Many rifles seem not to shoot the Barnes bullets very well. They are longer than "standard" bullets for any given weight, so it may be the twist rate - may be that some rifles just don't like 'em. Seems to be the case. I've lucked out in those that I've tried. They are not as accurate as many other bullets, but still well within "minute of elk" vitals for any expected range I'll shoot.

Page generated in 0.03549 seconds with 8 queries