View Single Post
Old February 21, 2014, 04:27 PM   #18
Marty8613

Honestly though

I think what Sierra280 might be looking for though, is the different American attitude. Americans in general, especially youngsters, are viewed as having a feeling of 'entitlement'. They are owed something from society in their minds. Rich or poor (affluenza come to mind?) doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, citizenship doesn't matter. Because this is America (USA), the land of opportunity, the riches are yours to have. I lived in Florida during Obama's 1st election. It was crazy how many younger kids (mostly immigrants) were convinced Obama was going to buy everyone cars, abolish taxes, give food stamps to everyone. These perceptions were re-enforced by their parents in some part. I could see that they had the perception that somehow, because they were in America, society as a whole owed them something. This is a perception, that once it fails, tends to anger a person. Where is my dream of riches? Where are the opportunities?

People aren't getting the respect they think they deserve, as perpetuated by the people around them. Lots of rich/poor kids have this perception that they are owed something. Their peers that succeed, through some sort of violence (at least in the short term), show them the way. Personal failure simply doesn't exist, when you find failure, it must be society in some way that has failed you. So, they strike out... at society.

Page generated in 0.02177 seconds with 8 queries