View Single Post
Old April 19, 2011, 06:32 PM   #112
Sevens

Quote:
In a hand gun with faster powders the 327 is cheaper and easier to reload than 30 carbine and would have less blast than typical 30 carbine ammo designed for use primarily in semi auto rifles. It gets real close to 30 carbine in a handgun without the same level of noise and blast as a 30 carbine and would be a fantastic ranch gun in a rifle for those wanting something in the 30 carbine/32-20/22 hornet class of weapon.
While we are both proponents of the round, I will have to disagree with what I've quoted here.

Take a look at the two rounds -- .327 Federal and .30 Carbine. Look at the diameter, the length and the pressure.

The powders to load them? Relatively the same. I use 2400 in both.
The blast? Relatively the same. .327 should theoretically have more at 5,000 more PSI.
Cheaper to reload? At this point, .30 Carb wins because of the brass issue. Otherwise, the same.

.327 is easier at the load bench because you aren't trimming brass with .327 and .327 is much easier to resize.

The bullet selection in .327 is wider... you can go from 85 to 115 grains if you can find them. In .30 Carb, it's 100 or 110. If you go with cast bullets in either, you can load whatever you can cast.

The two cartridges are shockingly similar. If anything, the .327 is more versatile and easier to deal with in a revolver and at a load bench. The .30 Carbine has 70 or so years of already being here in it's favor, and unless you want it in a semi-auto, not much else... except for the fact that ATK is a dumb bunch of morons who are willingly trying to smother their baby (.327) in their support of it.

Page generated in 0.03559 seconds with 8 queries